Inorganic Fibrous Shapes
LUDOX® colloidal silica is the binder used for vacuum forming refractory fibrous shapes such as:
Advantages of these ceramic fiber composites bonded with LUDOX® silica:
- Insulation board
- Ceramic fireplace logs
- Foundry tools
Other parts requiring high temperature stability.
- Low density
- Resistance to thermal shock
- Practically no thermal expansion
- Resistance to mechanical shock and vibration
- Flexibility in control of product properties
- Usefulness at temperatures up to 1650°C (3000°F) with certain fibers
Properties of the composites can be varied by the type and amount of fiber or binder, different fabrication processes, post-treatments, and specialty coatings.
LUDOX® colloidal silica can be formulated with milled aluminosilicate fibers to make fibrous cements for trowel application, or for use in steel mills and other refractory cements and gunning uses. These cements or gunning mixes exhibit minimum shrinkage and high strength at temperatures up to 1260°C (2300°F).
For more information, download: