Exceptional heavy metal-free corrosion protection
In the past 25 years, the coatings industry has moved toward chromate-free pigments that offer anti-corrosion protection without compromising health, safety, and the environment. To address these challenges, Grace engineered SHIELDEX® silica, a range of highly effective ion-exchanged pigments that are not classified as toxic and an effective replacement for pigments containing heavy metals like zinc and strontium chromate.
Recommended for coatings applied to a number of different substrates including galvanized steel, zinc alloy, and galvalume, SHIELDEX® silica is used in a variety of applications including coil, general industrial, automotive, and marine systems.
- Single-layer coatings applied over metal substrates
- Primer pre-treatment coatings designed to provide the function of both a primer and metal pre-treatment in a single layer
- Coatings that cure under acidic conditions
- Coatings that require acid catalysis to achieve adequate cure, e.g., acrylic and alkyd-melamine coatings
- Radiation-cured (UV/EB) systems for coil coatings
- Powder coating systems for general industrial applications
SHIELDEX® silica line
With finely controlled particle distribution for smoothness and a lower density, SHIELDEX® silica requires less quantity by weight compared to conventional anti-corrosive pigments.
Primer and direct-to-metal applications
- SHIELDEX® AC 3 and AC 5 silica: for high-tech applications with extensive warranties. SHIELDEX® AC 3 silica is for systems with DFT <20μm; SHIELDEX® AC 5 silica is for systems with DFT >20μm.
Coil coating primer applications
- SHIELDEX® C 303 silica: superior corrosion protection in exterior and interior applications with extensive warranties
- SHIELDEX® CS 311 silica: ideal for exterior and interior applications using acid catalyzed systems that require optimized curing stability